When an operator applies for an activity authorization, we build on the information collected during a Strategic Environmental Assessment and other relevant previous environmental assessments, and require the operator to create a project-specific Environmental Assessment to help us determine how the proposed activities may affect ocean life. Search our collection of documents related to Environmental Assessments that are in progress or have previously been conducted in the Canada-Nova Scotia offshore area.
For more information or to obtain copies of any of the documents listed, including current or archived Environmental Assessments and Strategic Environmental Assessments, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Our Public Registry: Environmental Assessments contains documentation related to all Environmental Assessments in progress or previously conducted in the Canada-Nova Scotia offshore area. An Environmental Assessment must be completed to support an activity authorization application that may be submitted to us by an operator. Environmental Assessments are required:
- For projects that don’t trigger the federal Impact Assessment Act (referred to as non-designated projects)
- As part of an Impact Assessment conducted by the Impact Assessment Agency of Canada (formerly the Canadian Environmental Assessment Agency) for projects that trigger the federal Impact Assessment Act (referred to as designated projects)
Environmental Assessments are developed as part of the environmental review to help us, operators, Indigenous communities, stakeholders and the public learn more about environmental considerations for a specific offshore area where an operator is applying for an activity authorization. We use environmental assessments to make informed decisions, and identify any restrictive or mitigative measures the operator should use to minimize or reduce potential oil and gas effects on the environment while conducting their activity.
You can access the following types of documents in our public registry:
• Scoping documents (draft and final versions)
• Environmental Assessment (draft and final versions)
• Comments received on any draft documents
To search our public registry, click on the name of the Environmental Assessment program below.